Contact: Dr. Krista Van Slingerland
Mental Health Manager, Game Plan
firstname.lastname@example.org | 1 (647) 619-2654
Join the mental health mailing list to get relevant updates and resources straight to your inbox!
Mental Health Support
Click here for a summary of mental health resources available to athletes, coaches, and support staff.
There are three pathways to support available to athletes, coaches, and NSO staff:
- LifeWorks: Official Mental Health Partner of the Canadian Olympic Committee, Lifeworks offers free access to a 24/7 helpline, short-term counselling, self-directed mental health programs, group therapy, and several mental health maintenance tools
- Game Plan Mental Health Network: A pan-Canadian network of vetted mental health professionals working in sport. Access to care for athletes is subsidized by Game Plan (learn more about funding).
- Canadian Centre for Mental Health and Sport: A collaborative sport-focused mental health care team. Access to care for athletes is subsidized by Game Plan (learn more about funding).
LifeWorks resources are available free of charge to high-performance athletes, coaches, and NSO staff.
LifeWorks Care Access Centre: Professional EAP Counselling Services available 24 / 7 / 365 days a year: 1-844-240-2990
Clinical Services are delivered through various modalities such as Face-to-Face, Telephone, Video, Chat/Instant Messaging, Online Group Counselling, or Self-Directed.
Go to teamcanada.lifeworks.com and enter the credentials below:
- Username: TeamCanada
- Password: lifeworks
Sport-Informed Mental Health Support
What to expect when you reach out for sport-informed mental health support
- Sport-informed mental health care: The Game Plan athlete journey – EN
- Sport-informed mental health care: The Game Plan athlete journey – FR
- Funding for Sport-informed Mental Health Services: Frequently Asked Questions – EN / FR
Mental Health Check-in: Where are you on the continuum today?
- Continuum of Mental Health Indicators and Resources
- Continuum d’indicateurs et de ressources en matière de santé mentale
Individual Mental Health Action Plan for Athletes: A resource to help athletes proactively respond when they notice that their mental health is declining
Needs / Gaps Assessment Tool: A guide to assist sport leaders in assessing organizational needs and gaps in the area of mental health
- MH Needs / Gaps Assessment – Sport Leaders
- Outil d’analyse d es besoins et des lacunes – Dirigeants des sport
Organizational Mental Health Emergency Action Plan Builder: A tool to help sport organizations plan for and respond to mental health emergencies in their unique context.
Mental Health Strategy for High-Performance Sport in Canada
The overall aim of the Mental Health Strategy is to improve the mental health outcomes for all high-performance athletes, coaches, and staff.
Download the Strategy here.
Game Plan is working on a suite of mental health education assets for athletes, coaches, and NSO staff. As offerings are released, they will be added below. You can also join the mental health mailing list to be notified of new workshop releases.
Workshops are delivered by qualified facilitators. Game Plan will cover the cost of delivering two workshops per fiscal year through each CSI and one per fiscal year through each CSC.
Mental Health 101: High-Performance Coaches
Delivery: Live (in person / virtually)
Professional Development Points: 2.0 PD credits will be awarded via the CAC Locker
Contact to set up a workshop: email@example.com
For any additional questions, please reach out to NSOservices@olympic.ca